Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's Google Chrome



Recently, Google released it's new web browser, Google Chrome. Unfortunately, Chrome isn't yet available for the Mac, despite being based on Apple's Webkit, which seems odd, but I know they are planning on getting around to it. Eventually.

There are concerns about Chrome. If you listen to Security Now with Steve Gibson, you'll know it's not a secure browser, and lacks features. And Steve Gibson reveals more Chrome security flaws in Episode 162 of Security Now.

That having been said, I like it. It's clean, simple, and handles huge web pages better than any other browser at there. It also has a fast Java Script parsing engine, the V8 Java Script engine.

But that's not nearly as handy as being able to open of huge files better than any other browser out there. Much better than Safari, better than Firefox, better than Opera, and even better than the best browser at handling large web pages before chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.

By the way, I should take this opportunity to mention, this week only (that is, as of the week of this posting), we are offering Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student OEM for only $79.97. Now, that's a great price for Microsoft Office.

What else was I saying? Oh, yes. Chrome opens up huge web pages better than any other browser. A hundred megabyte web page slows Explorer down to a crawl for me, but Chrome handles it. I can scroll up and down, select text within the browser, and operate JavaScript menus on that huge page--something that is almost impossible to due in Internet Explorer, and definitely impossible in anything else. 

I should say, I do a lot of in house development, so my scripts while processing database files can generate huge web pages, depending on what information I have the script display. The more I can display, the handier it is, and with Chrome I can display an awful lot. Occasionally, when opening up a web page with 200 mbs of images displayed, I've gotten an error, but I consider that minor. On the whole, it works great, and I'm glad for it. 

Unfortunately, it currently doesn't search the content of text boxes on a page when doing a find, which Internet Explorer does do. Sigh. One day, there will be an all-in-one browser. One day.

Have I mentioned Software Supply Group carries a variety of AC adapters from laptops and notebooks?

I know I've told you we carry quite a few Peachtree Accounting products from Sage Software.

I've also mentioned that we carry quite a bit of anti-virus and network security products from Panda. Which is cool.


And don't forget Symantec Endpoint Protection, Norton Internet Security 2008, and Norton Systemworks. More specifically, we've got Norton SystemWorks 2008 standard edition for just $32.77. Beat that with a brickbat!

No more news on TR2N! I'm waiting. I've got Google News set up to let me know. But nothing yet. One day.

No comments: